Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Teenager piles on weight to 34stone (476 pounds)


I can't face up to it: 34st Georgia is Britain's fattest teenager again after piling on 16st on her return from weight-loss camp

By CLAIRE BATES
Last updated at 9:46 PM on 1st November 2010
Teenager Georgia Davis impressed the nation when she lost half her body weight at a U.S fat camp last year.
But the morbidly obese 17-year-old has regained her title as 'Britain's fattest teenager' after piling 16 stone back on in 16 months, and now weighs 34st.
The despairing student from Aberdare, south Wales had weighed 33st before going to the Wellspring Academy in North Carolina. While there the 5ft 6" teenager dropped 15st in nine months, but soon returned to her old bad habits on returning to the UK last summer.
Georgia Davis, from Aberdare in south Wales now weighs 34 stone
Georgia Davis, from Aberdare in south Wales now weighs 34 stone. She says she finds it difficult to face up to the reality of her size
'I started eating the cheap, bad food I had before,' she told the Daily Star.
'I want to be slim again and it was tough when I realised I'd reached 34 stone.'
Georgia had gained weight when she started comfort eating after the death of her father and was bullied at school.
She said: 'I'd eat to comfort myself and afterwards I'd feel worse and I'd eat again.'

Georgia's daily feast...

3 bowls of sugary cereal
Sausage rolls and pies
6 packets of crisps
Pile of sandwiches
A chocolate cake
Chips
21 digestive biscuits
Ready meals
KFC takeaway
Chunks of cheese
Litre of coke 
In August 2008 a 33st Georgia was told by doctors to 'lose 20 stones or die.'
Spurred into action, Georgia attended a £3,600-a-month diet academy for nine months, during which time she shrank to 18st and beat her Type 2 diabetes. She was seen by behavioural coaches, food psychologists and fitness trainers and encouraged to walk 10,000 steps every day.
 
    She returned to the UK in June 2009 to look after her mother Lesley, 55, who has a heart condition.
    At the time the energised student was optimistic about her chances of success and vowed to drop a further seven stone.
    She said:‘I used to look at myself in the mirror and cry. Now I smile and say, “Yeah, I like myself”.
    'I like my face and I like the way my body is shaped. The world is my oyster and I feel I can achieve anything.'
    Susan Boardman, one of  the directors from the Academy said she was also confident she would be able to lose the extra weight as she had her eating under control.
    Rhondda Cynon Taff Local Health Board said measures would be put in place to help her maintain her excellent progress.
    But despite her U.S training and the promise of NHS support, Georgia was back up to 28st by April this year.

    At her slimmest, Georgia had a normal life expectancy of 80 years, but at her current weight she is not expected to live past 20.
    The youngster has strenuously defended herself from accusations that she is lazy, although she admits her weight gain is her own fault. 
    She said at the camp she had been in a controlled environment where she consumed 1,500 calories a day. However, at home she felt isolated as neither her family nor her friends were sticking to a healthy eating plan.
    Georgia said she wants more help from the NHS, saying her problem is no different from drug or alcohol addiction. 
    The troubled teenager said: 'I know I'm probably eating myself to death again but at the moment I can't face up to it.'


    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1325509/34st-Georgia-Britains-fattest-teenager-piles-16st-on.html#ixzz144yKBwGn

    No comments:

    Post a Comment